Wednesday, December 25, 2013

to my own family

I sat back and remained very very quiet at our annual holiday celebration last night. Watching and reading the energy of the group of humans that I am one of. It has not changed in many ways, and yet changed a lot in other ways. Our Christmas's together carry one theme all the way through, the story of Mary, Joseph and Jesus. My step father has read that story for all the years of his presence with us. It is so important that my daughter memorialized him in a poem that has also become a part of our program. Like Joseph, he was there but not the physical parent. I am grateful that my mother had a partner for those years. I am also grateful that he took good care of us. I often wonder how he thinks it went. The food is always the same and  really amazing. The conversations were lighter this year and so were the bodies, not so heavy as in the past. The gifts were smaller but thought filled. My girls are blessed to have this gentle way of celebrating the season and the family. They were lovely and loving. Take a step back and watch, see how the day plays itself out and think about your role, your gift, your celebration. To my own family, I want to say thank you, it was very nice, I am full,  content, and warmed by the gentle evolution of who we are and how far we have come. This was a Christmas to remember.

No comments: