Thursday, February 7, 2013

Lessons remembered

Years ago a fellow asked would you and your girls like to go to the zoo with me?? I said no thanks, I am otherwise engaged. Yet the offer repeated itself over and over in my mind for a very long. I really love the zoo. I told my partner that I wanted him to take us to the zoo and he said he was too busy. He was always too busy. I should have learned then that when someone says I am not going to change or shift or listen to YOUR wants or needs, that it is a losing battle. We lost that battle and that partnership. I have an overwhelming feeling of potential, maybe more than my share. It is probably to blame for much of what I do and how intensely I do it. I think that if I try hard enough it will be my way. I need to remember that lesson and stop trying so hard with others. I learned in my work to leave people to their own health issues unless they show up in my office. I could help if they wanted help. Personally it is harder to do. When I see a friend or partner or relative struggling in some way I generally say something. I have learned now the lesson of less is more. There is nothing to say to someone who has not asked a question or endeavored to engage me. I was told a story of a man who recently passed away and how he taught life's lessons to his sons and their sons, by showing not speaking. Never a raised voice or hand, but a message giver in every way. I love that, demonstrating without words the higher road. Good luck to me and anyone who chooses this, I believe it worthy! And a lesson remembered is a lesson finally learned.

No comments: