Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Ask your kids...

If you want to know the TRUTH about something, just ask your kids. They love you best and will take advantage of an opportunity to clear the air, shine a light or simply add to an already great relationship. My girls have always told me their truth and I always paid attention to it. I still did things my own way, but not without consideration. I also knew they were not ever trying to hurt me or my feelings, although sometimes we disagreed. I am a free spirit and that can be difficult for others who think I should be more grounded. Ask my x husband! We are trying to come together now forming community and family around very broken pasts. Many people have multiple divorces and shattered lives because roots have been uprooted over and over again. Our kids have a view, a lifetime of history with you and a voice that speaks with love overlighting other data and maybe some opinions or complaints. I check in with those beautiful ladies and sometimes don't like what they say, but I still need to know how they feel. They are MY roots. My family of origin was not rooted and that was hard. No family trips as adults or up north together time. We need that!! It gives us strength and hope. It hurts us to be alone or left out. I know that for a long time I included everyone in everything, I love that - the more the merrier. Then I got tired of no one else doing it and I just quit. So today just ask your kids, whatever age they are, how they see things and what they need in relation to YOU! It could be the greatest advice you ever receive! For sure it will be the most honest. And NO CHARGE. PS: Listen, be quiet and DO NOT DEFEND ANYTHING, take notes and then absorb it SO YOU CAN SINK IN DEEPER ROOTS.

No comments: