Wednesday, April 27, 2016

I was THAT kid

The one who felt chained to her desk at school. Every school, every desk, even when I got to college, and even when I went to work at the phone company. I needed to move. I could still learn, recite massive memorization as I did in Peter Pan. Do math, almost always in my head, accurately. Play music, paint pictures and read, read, read. I did it. Yet I was frustrated. Then there was Nature, the Mother who knew me and knew exactly what I needed. She gave me animals, and land, and water and sky. Accessing those things kept me sane and alive and willing to play and participate again on another day. Too much sitting made me crazy, and I would get sick and cross. A weekend of skiing or the river and just mowing the big lawn we had in the warm sunshine, gave me connection. This is the time to reconnect to our Mother Earth, she needs us as much as we need her now. We have parks, local and national and global, go there, a lot. Use what little resources we have left. It will upgrade our whole situation, and those chains, well, I never felt them when I was outside. Being free is good enough for me.

1 comment:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

This is so beautifully written...and wonderfully introspective