Monday, April 25, 2016

Holy Medicine Snake Woman

That was my Grandmother's name. In 1818 she was born a Blood tribe Blackfeet whose father was Chief. She married a white fur trader named Alex and was bought with a dowry of 9 horses. She was his equal, his partner and his friend and translator for her people. They were Frontier Diplomats in a time when there was no diplomacy on the frontier, only conflict brought forth by fear of something unknown. They established the Buffalo Robe trade out of Fort Benton Montana for the American Fur Company and raised a family there too. After twenty years of success, they retired to Peoria Illinois and tried the white man's way of life. It did not work for them as a couple and after a decade of effort she simply went home to Montana. She is in my DNA. She speaks to me of that life and the way that the Holy Medicine works. Nature sustained her, horses were her best friends and raising a family the best part of that lifetime. In a world where she was free to ride and play outside she was happy and healthy. In a world different than that, she was sad. I have learned much from her and know that to be true to who I am, in my body and in my way of life I need to honor my heritage, and learn how important it is to my health and happiness. Everyone has a story, all valuable. Some challenges teach us what not to do and other ones teach HOW to live well. Knowing who you are, is helpful in understanding how you are. This summer, mother's or father's day, ask them to share YOUR history or herstory, with you. They know more than you think. It will validate and enlighten. Hurry before they depart, elevators are going up all the time now. Holy Medicine is family! And you only get one per time here.

No comments: