Friday, November 22, 2019

Queen for a day

My mother won that honor in 1960. I saw her on TV that afternoon from my grandparents house in North Dakota. She had gone to California after the death of my dad in 1959, and that was the first time I saw her in quite a long while. Under the weight of the robe and crown she crumbled to the ground, small and weak and defeated. Left with three small children, she was in despair and told me later in my life, that she saw no future for herself. It took a toll. Yet those prizes came to us, before she returned. Mixer, washer, dryer, juicer, and also a college scholarship. That was her wish, to go on to school and do something important with her life. Raising our families has not be a worthy priority in the past few decades. Women were struggling under the weight of the responsibility of not being that queen. When my daughter Jessie was born, the queen in me was also born. I stayed home with her, and knew that was royal treatment for me and my child. I also knew the limits of leaving myself last, and working on the outside instead of the inside would have wiped me out. It was a challenge, my friends and partner did not understand my position. And I fought for that right from then on. I was told my life was a parade, a never ending party, because I did not leave the house to work. That was true, it was. I was in my element as queen, not for the day, for the lifetime of my girls. To be a queen alone is fine, to be a queen for a family, a neighborhood, a health practice is a great honor. I honor tomorrow, all the QUEEN FOR A DAY LADIES coming the clinic for a class worthy of women! Thanks for knowing you are royalty! We need you proud, and supported in your journey and your reign as women of this world. QUEENS!

No comments: