Monday, September 9, 2019

Who is your neighbor?

Do you know? I did not for a long time. Kept apart by the illusions of life, we see them as strangers and keep to ourselves. My life has mostly been lived in the country, neighbors were not close by. When I had my children, I moved them into a neighborhood with a cul-de-sac. I thought that would be fun for them, easy access to neighbor kids. It was not really what I had hoped for. People were distant even though they lived close by. We took ourselves to the country after that brief city life, and our pets were who we played with and we had each other too. My children, now grown, still have that in their life. Pets were unconditional with their time and love, and that worked well for us. Yesterday, I saw a new pet in my country world, a beautiful dog and I thought that is the kind of neighbor I can understand. So I went over and said hello. Turns out that dog has a person! A new neighbor to wave to and smile at as you go by. So I took it a step further and took that new neighbor to all of my old neighbors, and said, I wish someone would have done that for me when I came here twenty years ago. I know illusions of separation must leave us if we are to survive and thrive. We have begun to understand we are all connected and it is time now to know your neighbors! Be the neighbor you wish you had! They will smile and wave back too. Humanity needs one another, and it starts in your neighborhood, today, neighbor, today! Welcome Bret and Clay to the neighborhood, we're glad to know you. Dr. Su

No comments: